Sunday, May 14, 2017

50 km Mothers Day Bike Ride


On this, American Mother's Day, I honored Ma Wood by taking a 50 kilometer bike ride. Mom always encourages me to do anything I want to do, I owe it to her for most of my boldness. Sometimes it's not the best choice to be fearless and impulsive, but I have more good memories than regrets. I always think of Ma Wood's encouragement and taking on a big adventure today is a great way to be with mom in spirit, even if I can't be with her in Virginia.
The Trek bike shop in Al Qadra is 30 minutes into the desert from Dubai and has decent road bikes for rent-- 90 AED/ $30 for a half day. This includes a helmet, headlights and an uncomfortable saddle. You know what they say about a 50km bike ride, a clear mind and a sore crotch...
Beginning of the 50km loop
The paved pathways are just beautiful, on the far side of the loop the open desert is silent and pristine. There are covered pavilions to stop and eat or drink and watch the sunset. I began at 6:00p.m., the sun set around 7:15p.m. and I was finished by 9:00p.m. On the side of the loop closer to the bike rental shop there are more trees, cars, a bridle trail and things that smell very fragrant, such as bushes. On the deep desert side there are no sounds and no smells and less light pollution; a nice place to rest in the dunes. In the dark night, with bright stars above, I disturbed a couple of little oryx who were hiding in the shrubs at different points and it was really cute to see them bounce away. I feel bad that I disturbed them, but they were so cute running off into the desert.
The Al Qudra paths have various lengths, I've done part of the 50km in the daytime before, but doing it at night is much better because it's cooler and the sun isn't beating down on you. This evening it wasn't too hot and there were few others on the path until after the sunset. It was a really good atmosphere, with serious cyclists speeding by me, making me jealous. I plan to do this once a month, inshallah, hopefully. 
I want to give a Mother's Day shout-out to my friend from junior high school Christie Bynum-Fogel. I was thinking of her, because she and I really went places on our bikes! You know that amazing summer feeling of going anywhere you want on your bike? Freeeeeee. Gurrrl. Christie has two daughters now! I'm sure those gals will have strong adventurous spirits like their mom. 
Lost highway, about one-third along.










One more shout to my hubby Erik, I realize he has mended both of my favorite adventure backpacks, this means so much to me! The one I used today, which holds my camel bac water pouch, he sewed the strap back together. I have a new travel backpack now and it hasn't been broken yet, but when it does and it needs mending, I bet he will mend it for me with great skill and care. If you feel attached to your backpack, then you know what this means.
OK one final shout-out, to Melvin the dog. Hoooooooowwwwwooooo!!!!!
She may be in heaven, but she's in my heart for all my outdoor adventures.

Gotta go call mom now! She was at IHOP eating pancakes, like mom should be on Mothers Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment