Monday, March 23, 2015

Is There Such a Thing as Too Much Guacamole?

A South African, a Greek, a Ugandan, a Ukrainian, and a Filipino all work at at taqueria-- which one would you trust the most to make your tacos? I would have said the Filipino before tonight. I don't want to turn this Dubai Diary into a food blog, but there is a whole lot of culture involved in food... My reasoning with initially preferring the Filipino guy is that Filipino food is sort of Asian with a lot of spice and veggies-- in it's own island way, it's really yummy, not as good as Mexican food in my opinion, but has a better chance at flair than other flavor palettes.
The most guacmoled taco I have ever eaten.
I'm not a complainer, but this guy who made my tacos seemed like he'd never tried any of the product he was preparing.. I saw what he was creating for me and wanted to ask him to keep those tacos and I would get back in line and try my luck with someone else.. 
You know if you are vegetarian and you ask for something veggie from an omnivore, you often get the anorexic special? That happens at Subway, where the sandwich-artist cannot comprehend that the tomato is your meat. I digress... It felt like he is not personally a taco fan and this fella was throwing crap on there in such a way-- so much guac, it takes up half the taco, then loads of tomatillo sauce-- it's very salty. I'm fairly nice, so I buy these tacos and eat them. Then I feel that I have had my sodium intake for a month, and am kind of ruined on guacamole for a while, which I thought was impossible, I love avocados in any form, and especially love a mashed concoction. Many bites of each taco were completely guacamole. 
Image taken from a discussion board called Skyscrapercity.com

But if you think about it, we are pretty far from Mexico, here in Dubai, so I should be happy that I have a taqueria near my place at all. During my other weekly visits, I get passable tacos. Now it's obvious to everyone that I eat fast food quite often but experiencing food here is such an interesting inter-cultural event, I had to share this enriching interaction with the world. Can you even imagine someone who doesn't know and love tacos? Inconceivable.

  

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading this in bed, after a sleepless night with Niam, and laughing my ass off without any concern for waking up him or Dave :D!!

    Did your Taco Artist speak English? Maybe speak up and say "Whoa buddy, easy on the guac!" I heart me some tacos and guac, but a nice balance has to be made...otherwise it can be a gross experience.

    Ps this should totally be a food blog. In my mind you live in the magical land of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine that my whining about taco fillings would only be entertaining to someone who is sleep-deprived..Hope you get some good sleep soon-- as in before your infant becomes a toddler... Next time I will definitely hawk-over my taco preparation, no need to have anything less than a delicious taco!

      Delete