Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The Forbidden Basement

There must be a word for someone who feels euphoria at waterparks? I do. I actually felt hungover from the excitement the day after visiting Wild Wadi on the Islamic New Year holiday last  weekend. Or maybe that was just dehydration?
In addition to an awesome waterpark experience there was a haunted house that truly sent my heart into palpitations. We went through it twice!! 

It stuck in my mind to once hear a comedian critique the Middle East and say that building a water park won't help with the problems of the region... Yes it does! What is more peaceful, relaxing and nation-building than a lazy river? I don't think I will ever understand this critique, but now I can't even remember who said it. Colin Quinn or someone like that, he's probably never visited Dubai. Waterparks give a huge boost to an area. Would anyone have ever visited Orlando, if not for an amusement park?

Ladies only nights are so cool! I wish every place in Dubai had this sort of night where you know that your evening will be man-free!  Waterparks usually have one night per week that are open just for girls and women to visit. The picture above happens to be the only photo I got during my Wild Wadi visit.
Also, a new thing for me: Muslim women wear a full body swim suit- often called a "burkini." Google it!
There are 5 proper water parks in Dubai and several more in the UAE. I wonder if the economic and social value of waterparks can improve the state of world affairs? It seems like it does, but perhaps that is a question of which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Build more waterparks, build world peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment